Wednesday, March 16, 2011

We are always in control

We are always in control. There is a good mantra that I think we many times over-look, seldom believe, but cannot dispute its truth. No matter what situation we encounter, no matter how out of control we feel, we are always in control. We may not be in control in the sense many of us think, but control of our minds we do have. No situation is out of the control of our own thoughts and emotions; we always have the ability to process the situation and act accordingly. Even when faced with the threat of life…we still have our minds.

I think the first step in finding peace within is the realization of this mantra. If we simply accept each situation as it comes to us, no matter how good or bad…and we realize “I am in control.” we can handle anything thrown at us. Often I find myself giving the advice to friends or younger people “I know it seems tough right now, but trust me it will get better.” Why do I say this? It’s funny, but thinking about it now I am saying accept that you are letting the current situation control you and wait for a new/better situation to come along to change you. How often do we see a person on top of the world one minute and in the dumps the next? Sure there our outside influences affecting that mood, but why do we let them? I revert back to “we are in control.” If we always treat each situation as a lesson, a lesson in controlling our thoughts and emotions, we stop becoming reactionary…shouldn’t each thing always be the same?

I know, easier said than done, but like everything else in this world, you have to start somewhere, baby steps as my father always says. After all, isn’t just the attempt at this realization a valid practice? Are we not learning to quiet our minds and handle all situations better? This to me is the entire point…I don’t need a fancy building, or a required order of operations to be a better person, a better person to myself and others. I simply need to realize I am in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment