Thursday, March 10, 2011

Daily practice - Just Thinking

I was thinking on my LONG, you know every belief has many similar goals: be patient, be friendly, love each other, don't kill, steal, etc...do you realize how many chances a day we have to practice achieving these goals? My drive into work, the hustle of everyone running late, everyone thinking their destination is more important...so what if I let that extra car in? What if I slow down a little and be sure to not cut anyone off? What if I turn off the radio and truly focus on driving, make my task the primary focus and be in that moment? I can see all of this as easy practice in patience.

Now at work, my lord how many people at our jobs frustrate us, try to pawn work onto us, or just irritate us? What if the next time Sammy whatshername walks in to tell you another pointless story about last night...you actually listen? What if when Polly Pain sends you that email asking you to do another mindless task that's really her task...you just do it? I can't begin to recall all the times I have festered and stewed over the most pointless events at work. Can you imagine using these moments at work as your practice in loving kindness, friendship! How about when we start a task we again purely focus on that task, we make that task the most important thing we do...truly apply ourselves to it.

All these things require no special preparation, no specific place we have to be to complete it, no order of operations to follow in order to "do it correctly," and certainly no reason to say "I didn't have time to practice today." It's these simple things I think can make us better people, and take away that BS guilt we feel all to often with our monarchs rules and regulations. Not to mention, what religion am I by observing the above? Can anyone point me out and say I am doing it wrong? Regardless of my next life...or who I stand in front off in the end...can you say simple steps like this don't help?

Just thinking - Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment